Zathura (2005) Review

"You guys actually set the house on fire?!"
-Lisa



Young brothers, Walter (Josh Hutcherson) and Danny (Jonah Bobo) are left home with their older sister, Lisa (Kristen Stewart) when their Dad has to go into work.  Danny finds a board game called Zathura in the basement and starts a game with Walter, but as the game begins, the siblings find themselves in outer space.  Having to deal with meteor showers, killer robots, and man-eating aliens, the only way for them to get home is to beat the game and make it to Zathura,


What Works:

Like both of the Jumanji movies, Zathura is straight up just a really fun movie.  I love the whole board game coming to life premise and it is used very effectively here.  There are a lot of really fun and entertaining sequences and the movie makes me want to go play the board game, which is pretty much the highest praise I can give this kind of movie.

Generally, I find kids irritating in movies, and while both Danny and Walter are annoying in their own ways, that's the point of the film, so it doesn't bother me.  The film is about the two of them fixing their relationship and as I have a younger sister that I used to fight with all the time, this really resonated with me.  Their relationship is extremely realistic and I enjoy their character arcs.

The practical effects are also really cool.  I love that they actually made a killer robot and built the alien costumes.  It all has a very 1950's sci-fi vibe and I like that they put the effort in on that front.  This could have been an total CGI-fest and I appreciate that they didn't go that route.

The acting is pretty solid from most of the cast.  Hutcherson, Stewart, Dax Shepard, and Tim Robbins are all talented actors and have had solid careers.  They all do a great job in this movie.

Finally, I love the occasional dark humor.  I can't believe they put in a subplot about Lisa having a crush on Dax Shepard's character who turns out to be an older version of Walter.  It's hilarious and really messed up for a kids movie.  Walter's line about gorgeous eyes is fantastic and a great way to end the film.  Plus we have grandma's ashes being destroyed by a meteor.  It's a quick moment, but really cracked me up.


What Sucks:

I only have a few things about Zathura I didn't like.  The biggest problem is Jonah Bobo, our main protagonist.  He's mostly fine, but he simply isn't as talented as the rest of the cast and that stands out.

Other than that, there were a few moments where the CGI didn't look great and the sequence about Danny cheating in the game didn't make a lot of sense, but that's all I have.


Verdict:

Zathura is a fun and exciting movie that is just as good as both Jumanji films.  Most of the acting is great, the dark humor is hilarious, and I love the practical effects.  Jonah Bobo isn't great and there are a few nitpicky flaws here and there, but Zathura has definitely got it going on.

 8/10: Really Good  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Argylle (2024) Review

Top 10 Movies of 2023

Madame Web (2024) Review