Society (1989) Review

"I'm not paranoid.  All my fears are real."
-Bill Whitney



Before I dive into this movie, I want to give a Spoiler Alert, even though this movie was made in the 80's.  I highly recommend this film, but you should go into it knowing as little as possible.  I knew nothing about Society going in and had that much more fun because of my ignorance.  Don't read any further unless you have seen this film.


Bill Whitney (Billy Warlock) is a rich teenager who lives with his parents and his sister in Beverly Hills.  On paper, he has it all, but Bill lives with a crippling sense of fear and paranoia.  He's afraid of his parents, his sister, even his therapist.  Bill has never fit into the high-class society of his family and learns that they have a terrible secret they don't want Bill to know.


What Works:

Society is one of the weirdest films I have ever seen and it is incredibly surreal.  I shouted, "What is going on?!" at the TV multiple times, but that isn't a criticism.  For the most part, the movie was intentionally trying to be weird and confusing and I was totally along for the ride.  This one is especially fun to watch with a group of people who have never seen it before.  It's one hell of a shared experience.

Billy Warlock is a really solid lead.  He's a very likable guy, which is surprising when you see the sort of background he has.  He makes a lot of very smart decisions and is very easy to root for.  It's not his fault almost every other character in the movie is conspiring against him.  He keeps the story grounded despite all the weirdness and he is a great lens to view the insanity through.

The 3rd act of the film is utterly insane and one of the most bizarre things I have ever witnessed in my life.  It's disgusting and revolting, but you can't look away.  I saw something I never could have expected to see in my life and, while I'll never be able to unsee it, I think my life has improved...I think.

Finally, the humor in this movie is solid.  There were a few jokes that felt a little out of place, but they ended up coming into play very well later in the film.  They added to the dark, but humorous tone of the film, and I love me some dark comedy.


What Sucks:

I said above that I repeatedly had no idea what was happening in the film, but I was mostly along for the ride.  That said, there is a moment or two where I don't think the movie was meant to be confusing, but was.  For example; the sweater Bill sees at the car in the woods.  I didn't understand the significance of the sweater, but I think I was supposed to.  Nothing too major, just a couple of nitpicks here and there.


Verdict:

Society is one of the weirdest movies I have ever seen, but I had a blast watching it.  It's bizarre, funny, disgusting, and exciting.  The main character is excellent and the 3rd act is burned into my brain.  There are a few moments that don't work, but I loved this film and it has absolutely got it going on.

 9/10: Great 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Argylle (2024) Review

Top 10 Movies of 2023

Madame Web (2024) Review