Top 10 Movies of 2019

Well, that's it for 2019 and once again I wasted way too much of my life watching movies.  I watched 64 newly released movies of varying quality this year and it's time for me to decide on which ones are going to make it into the Top 10.  It's a tough decision, but it has to be done.


#10. How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World



I love the How to Train Your Dragon trilogy and while the 3rd film isn't as good as the second, it wraps the series up nicely.  The movie is a work of art with stunning animation, we get a solid villain, some off the most effective emotional moments of the series, and, of course, Toothless, who is simply a wonderful character.  Not all of the comedy works, but that doesn't prevent this film from making the Top 10.


#9. The Lighthouse



This movie is nothing short of bonkers.  Robert Pattinson and Willem Dafoe give brilliant performances as they take us on a journey of paranoia and isolation.  The lighting and cinematography are excellent, the sound design is spectacular, the tension and dread the movie creates is suffocating, and the occasional funny moments are hysterical.  While the movie takes one misstep near the end, it's an absolute must-watch.


#8. Doctor Sleep



This sequel to The Shining is a worthy successor.  Ewan McGregor and Kyliegh Curran are terrific heroes and incredibly easy to root for.  On the flip side, Rebecca Ferguson is a terrifying villain that we get to spend plenty of nightmarish moments with.  I appreciated all of the strange Stephen King aspects incorporated and embraced by the story, and Jacob Tremblay's big scene is one of the scariest things I have ever seen.  There are a few too many references to the original film in the 3rd act, but this movie is great and it's a shame it didn't perform better at the box office.


#7. A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood



I was pleasantly surprised with this movie.  It's not really about Mr. Rogers and the surreal David Lynch-esque nightmare caught me off guard, but I love that this movie isn't what you would expect.  Tom Hanks and Matthews Rhys are both wonderful, the use of miniatures is a lot of fun, the emotional beats are very well handled, and the movie manages to capture the spirit of the TV show.  There is one character that I found annoying, but you really couldn't ask for much more.


#6. Knives Out



I'm a big fan of murder mysteries that happen in a mansion and Knives Out ticked a lot of the right boxes.  The cast is excellent, especially Daniel Craig, Chris Evans, and Ana de Armas, the story is well-written and engaging, and you can tell the filmmakers have a passion for this type of movie, as do I.  I figured out the twisted web a little more quickly than I would have liked, but this is simply a fun and well-made film.


#5. Midsommar



Director Ari Aster outdoes himself here and gives an absolutely devastating film on multiple levels.  The dread and tension were so high I could barely take it, the cinematography is some of the best of the year, the pacing is incredible, the acting is spectacular, and unlike Aster's other film, Hereditary, the 3rd act pays off in a satisfying manner.  The characters aren't likable in the slightest, but that's okay.  You're not really supposed to like them and that's part of why this movie works so well.


#4. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood



As someone who used to live in Los Angeles and worked in the industry, I really enjoy films about movie-making.  This film feels like it was made for me.  Brad Pitt and Leonardo DiCaprio are fantastic, the sequence where Pitt visits an old film ranch is probably my favorite sequence of the year, and the violence, when it does happen, is simply glorious.  My only problem is the length.  It's too short!  I wanted more!


#3. Toy Story 4



I really didn't want this movie made.  I was so nervous they were going to mess up and tarnish the reputation of this excellent series, but this movie ended up being better than the 2nd film and nearly as good as 1 and 3.  The story is very engaging and feels like a natural progression, the emotional climax is brutal, the new characters are iconic, the villain is complex and has an understandable goal, and I appreciated how focused this story was overall.  I loved this film.


#2. Avengers: Endgame



Once again, I was nervous about this film and was scared they were going to screw it up, but once again I was wrong.  Instead, we get an epic conclusion 20+ movies in the making.  The opening is haunting and a perfect tone-setter, the end of the first act is awesome and left me baffled as to how the rest of the film was going to play out, and the 3rd act is nothing short of epic.  It's very reminiscent of The Return of the King.  The emotional moments and losses we take over the film are also very powerful.  It's not my favorite movie in the MCU, but it's close.


Before I reveal my Top film of 2019, here are my honorable mentions that barely missed the cut:

Shazam!
Bombshell
Rocketman
The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part
Us
The Perfection
Ready or Not
Cold Pursuit
Hustlers


And finally, the best movie of 2019...


#1. Jojo Rabbit 



I wouldn't have expected a film about a young boy trying to be the best Nazi he can be to be so funny.  It feels a bit like an excellent episode of South Park.  The satire is nothing short of brilliant, the humor is on point, the dramatic moments aren't afraid to get dark, the acting is outstanding across the board, and the message of the movie is important and timely.  You need to see this film and it's hands-down the best movie of 2019.


So what do you think?  Did I nail it or am I dead-dog wrong?  Let me know!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Argylle (2024) Review

Top 10 Movies of 2023

Madame Web (2024) Review