Soul (2020) Review

 "You can't crush a soul here.  That's what life on Earth is for."
-22



Joe Gardner (Jamie Foxx) is an unfulfilled music teacher who dreams of being a jazz musician.  When his soul is accidentally separated from his body, Joe has to find a way back before he misses the gig of his dreams.

I want you to stop reading and go watch Soul if you haven't.  Seriously.  Right now.  It's my favorite movie of the year and you shouldn't know anymore about it than what I've told you.  Go on.  Get out of here.  Spoilers ahead.  


What Works:

The animation of Soul is beautiful and I love that the animators got to create two different worlds.  They both look very different, but both are incredible.  The real world of New York City feels like I could jump through my TV screen and be there and I love the abstractness and dreamlike quality of the Great Before.

Jamie Foxx gives an incredible performance as Joe.  He takes you on an existential journey and I found him incredibly relatable.  Being stuck in a job that doesn't bring him joy, focusing on a passion and finding out it doesn't lead to all of the happiness and fulfillment you expected.  These are some heavy topics and Foxx keeps it grounded and relatable.

This is Pixar's most mature film, for sure.  I'm not sure how much kids will get out of it, to be honest.  This is definitely a movie for adults.  It gets real.  Death and the lack of purpose in life are major themes, which I was not expecting going in.  The movie never gets too heavy, but there are a handful of moments that hit hard and really make you feel.

Finally, while this is a heavy and mature movie, there are still plenty of funny moments.  Jamie Foxx and Tina Fey are both hysterical, especially when Foxx gets trapped in the body of a cat.  It takes a special movie to make me laugh a ton before turning on a dime to get me to cry, and Soul pulls it off.


What Sucks:

I got nothing for you.


Verdict:

Soul is one of Pixar's strongest films, and that is saying something.  The story is enthralling, dark, funny, and brutally emotional.  Foxx and Fey are great and the animation is wonderful.  This movie has absolutely got it going on.

 10/10: Amazing    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Argylle (2024) Review

Top 10 Movies of 2023

Madame Web (2024) Review