Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed (2004) Review

"Darn bushes howlin' at me again."
-Jeremiah Wickles



Mystery Inc. attends the opening of a museum exhibit featuring the costumes of all the villains they have ever defeated.  The gala is ruined by an Evil Masked Figure and what appears to be a real, live Pterodactyl Ghost, who proceed to steal some of the costumes.  Mystery Inc. gets to work on the case to restore their damaged reputation, but quickly discover that somehow the costumes are being brought to life and the monsters are very real!


What Works:

Cards on the table, I love this movie.  I know that's probably an unpopular opinion.  In fact, I don't think I know anyone else who shares it, but I won't apologize for it and I regret nothing.  Part of the reason I like it so much is that it feels much more faithful to the cartoon than the first movie did.  Monsters Unleashed isn't nearly as tonally awkward as it's simply silly and goofy the entire time.

I love Scooby-Doo and I love that they brought back a bunch of the classic villains for this movie.  The Tar Monster and the 10,000 Volt Ghost are two of my all time favorite Scooby-Doo villains and the first episode I ever watched was the one with Captain Cutler's Ghost.  This movie brings me back to when I was a kid and I think that was the intention of the film.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Matthew Lillard is beyond perfect as Shaggy.  He was born to play this role and he nails every goofy moment and line delivery.  He's the best, pure and simple.

Part of the problem with the first movie is that Fred (Freddie Prinze Jr.), Daphne (Sarah Michelle Gellar), and Velma (Linda Cardellini) aren't very likable, but that is fixed this time around.  The three of them are actually very competent and make a great team.  I really appreciate the improvements in their characters.

Finally, I actually really like the theme of this movie.  Everyone wears masks, even Mystery Inc.  It's an interesting way to develop these characters and we see Velma, Shaggy, and Scooby (Neil Fanning) all try and pretend to be something they are not, while Fred tries to hide his emotions and be the tough guy.  It's a heavy-handed, but fun parallel to the monsters.


What Sucks:

I do have to admit, the CGI has not aged well.  I appreciate the cartoony look of some of the monsters, but there are times where the film looks really bad.  I even cringed at a few parts.

Finally, there is one storyline that has always bugged me about this movie.  Velma finds a shrine to the villainous Jonathan Jacobo (Tim Blake Nelson) and the implication is that Velma's love interest, Patrick (Seth Green), built it, but it's never confirmed or really brought up again.  If Patrick built it, why?  If he didn't, who did and, again, why?  This either needed to be cut from the movie or it needed to be explained more fully.


Verdict:

Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed is a guilty pleasure of mine.  I love watching it and I will die defending it.  I love the monsters, the cast, and the theme.  It really feels like a cartoon brought to life.  Yes, the CGI is awful and there's one subplot that needs fixing, but this movie has got it going on and it's better than the first film in every way.

 8/10: Really Good 


Comments

  1. I agree about that one subplot going unanswered - in the end (to reconcile it in my own head), <> I decided that because the shrine was located in the lair, Jacobo buult it for himself. Or I thought they'd address the Patrick duality more in a 3rd SD film.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Argylle (2024) Review

Top 10 Movies of 2023

Madame Web (2024) Review