The Lodge (2020) Review

"Repent."
-Grace's Father



Siblings Aidan (Jaeden Martell) and Mia (Lia McHugh) travel with their father, Richard (Richard Armitage), to their remote cabin in the mountains.  Richard's girlfriend, Grace (Riley Keough), joins them as well, but the kids resent her for replacing their mother.  When Richard is called away on business, the others stay behind and things begin to get weird as Grace's past involvement with a cult comes back to haunt her.

Spoiler alert.  I can't really talk about this movie without spoiling aspects of it.  I highly recommend it.  It's the best film I've seen so far this year and I only have minor complaints.  Go check it out!  Please!? Spoilers ahead!


What Works:

I don't know if I've ever felt my skin crawl so much while watching a movie.  This is one of the creepiest films I've ever seen.  It fills you with a sense of dread and keeps you on edge.  Something terrible is coming.  You know it, but you can't do anything to stop it.  It's quite the experience.

The performances are spectacular all around.  Riley Keough goes all out in her portrayal of the damaged Grace.  She's trying so hard to be kind to theses kids, but her sanity quickly deteriorates as time goes on.  It's a fantastic performance.

Lia McHugh also really impressed me.  I usually don't like child actors, but McHugh does an excellent job.  Mia is a very believable character, especially in scenes where she breaks down sobbing.  It sounds so real and it's heartbreaking.  

The movie is very claustrophobic thanks to the cramped quarters of the lodge.  The cinematography, lighting, and the sinister use of a doll house all contribute into making this movie close in on you.  It's extremely effective and made me very uncomfortable.

This movie is pretty much a family drama first and a horror film second, which isn't easy to pull off.  This story would work great as just a drama.  We have some kids having to get use to their father's new girlfriend and Grace trying to find her place in their lives.  This story was really engaging on its own.  Adding the spooky elements is really just a nice bonus.

Finally, I appreciate how dark this movie is willing to go.  Off the bat, we get an excellent moment with the kids' mother's suicide to kick off the tone of the film.  For the rest of the story, you really get the feeling that these kids are in danger.  Most movies don't dare harm the children, but The Lodge puts them in real danger and I love it.


What Sucks:

If you stop and think about this story in hindsight, it's a little ridiculous.  These kids just torment Grace so much she snapped and probably killed them.  It's a little far-fetched.  The only other thing that felt a little of was the ending with Grace putting tape over the mouths of the kids.  It just didn't click for me.  I think I would have liked it more if the movie had ended one scene earlier with the kids stuck in the car and Grace approaching them with a gun.  That might have been a more effective ending.


Verdict:

The Lodge is a chilling movie that is going to stick with me for a long time.  Riley Keough and Lia McHugh are fantastic, the story is fascinating, it's a technical marvel, and I love how dark it gets.  Apart from a few minor complaints, The Lodge has absolutely got it going on and is my favorite movie I've seen so far this year.

 9/10: Great 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Argylle (2024) Review

Top 10 Movies of 2023

Madame Web (2024) Review