Risky Business (1983) Review

"I've got a trig midterm tomorrow and I'm being chased my Guido the killer pimp."
-Miles



Joel Goodson (Tom Cruise) is a good kid who doesn't ever do anything that could get him in trouble.  When his parents go out of town he is convinced to call Lana (Rebecca De Mornay), a call girl who comes to his house and starts him down a wild path that eventually leads him to open a brothel in his house.  Things start to spiral out of control and Joel has to put his life back together before his parents get home or Lana's pimp Guido (Joe Pantoliano) kills him.


What Works:

When you say what the premise of Risky Business out loud, it sounds like a slapstick comedy and that's what I expected going into this, but that's not what this movie is.  It's like a dark version of Ferris Bueller's Day Off.  The tone and the style of this movie is dark and surreal, almost dreamlike and it took me totally off guard, but I really liked it.  

The story itself is very engaging as Joel's world crashes around him.  Everything he does seems to make his problems worse and every step forward he takes causes him to take two backwards.  It's a very exciting movie and it's fascinating to watch the story unfold.

Even though this movie is dark, it's also very funny.  There are some fantastic shots of physical comedy and some hilarious dialogue as well.  The scene where the Porsche rolls into the lake is both intense and hilarious with some excellent timing and direction.

Finally, the score for this movie is fantastic.  I love Tangerine Dream and they do a phenomenal job.  The score adds a lot to the dreamlike quality of the film and the eerie atmosphere.  This movie wouldn't be nearly as good if it didn't have such a mesmerizing score.


What Sucks:

There are a few parts of the film where I don't understand Joel's motivation.  I don't know exactly what he is trying to do and why he lets Lana walk all over him.  I get that he's a nice kid and she's using him, but I feel like he would be a little more insistent about getting his Mom's glass egg back.

I also don't get Joel's obsession for Lana.  She's kind of terrible and uses him constantly.  Sure, she may develop feelings for him by the end, but I feel like Joel would be over it after robbing him and using him.  Fool me once, anyone?  


Verdict:

Risky Business seems like it should be a slapstick comedy, but it's much darker film than that, which I really appreciate.  The performances are solid, the comedy is great, the story is really engaging, and the score is incredible.  Sure, Joel's motivation doesn't always make sense and Lana is a pretty awful person that Joel should have kicked the curb pretty quickly, but this film is a classic for a reason and deserves that moniker.  It absolutely has got it going on.

 8/10: Really Good   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Argylle (2024) Review

Top 10 Movies of 2023

Madame Web (2024) Review