Paranormal Activity Ranking

Well, I finally went and watched all 6 films in the Paranormal Activity series.  I had watched the first 2 in theaters, but had never seen the rest.  Overall, I was pleasantly surprised with the rest of the series, but there were definitely some disappointments along the way.  So let's rank these bad boys from best to worst.


#1. Paranormal Activity (2009)




Of course the original takes first place.  How could it not?  It's so simple, yet so effective.  It slowly grooms you into being afraid of a bedroom.  It has some of the most memorable scares and a chilling ending.  I will never forget watching this for the first time and I don't think it can be topped.


#2. Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones (2014)



I remember when this one came out and thinking the series was running out of steam, but, man, this movie was a treat.  The characters are great, there are some excellent scares, and the ending is out-of-this-world bonkers.  I wish the movie had a few slower scares, but regardless, I had an absolute blast with this film.


#3. Paranormal Activity 3 (2011)



Number 3 is number 3.  This was another one I liked a lot.  We get a super likable protagonist, some ingenious use of cameras, some great scares, and, in my opinion, the best single scare in the entire series with the kitchen scene.  Not only that, but we also get the best death in the series as well.


#4. Paranormal Activity 2 (2010)



I would put the above three movie in the "good" tier, while this one stands alone in the "okay" tier.  The characters are likable and there are some really good scares, especially the cabinets, but this one has the worst pacing of the series and takes a long time to get going.  It has the longest run-time out of all the movies and you can definitely tell.  I still like the movie, it's just got more problems.


#5. Paranormal Activity 4 (2012)



The last two films on this list belong in the "bad" tier.  While this movie does have solid performances from the two leads and an excellent final scene, most of this movie feels tired.  We've seen it all before and done better.  There really isn't anything original in the film and the twist about Wyatt doesn't make any sense.


#6. Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension (2015)



I'm surprised that this one managed to get last place.  I liked the first two-thirds of the movie.  We get the most proactive cast of the series and probably the best protagonist.  We also get one of the creepiest kids of all time in Leila.  I can't remember the last time I saw a 3rd act tank a movie so badly.  It's an absolute mess of ugly CGI, weak deaths, and a disappointing final scene.  It does a terrible job of wrapping up the series and if a 7th film does get made, I'll be very happy.  It can't end like this.


So what do you think?  Did I nail it or am I dead wrong?  Let me know!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Argylle (2024) Review

Top 10 Movies of 2023

Madame Web (2024) Review