Ranking the MonsterVerse Movies

I recently watched Godzilla vs. Kong and decided to go back and rewatch the first three movies of the MonsterVerse.  Now that I'm done, I can rank these bad boys from best to worst.



#1. Kong: Skull Island (2017)


Taking an easy 1st place is Kong: Skull Island.  It helps that the movie takes place in one location, an island, rather than the globetrotting the rest of the films do.  This one has easily the best characters in the MonsterVerse with Samuel L. Jackson and John C. Reilly getting to go full crazy.  The fight sequences are fantastic and the movie is beautiful in its visuals.  It also helps that this was the first monster movie I ever watched, so there is definitely some nostalgia attached to this one.  Some of the other main characters are papers thin, but even they are better than some of the other characters in this franchise.

 9/10: Great 


#2. Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019)




This might be the biggest hot take on this list.  Simply put, I'm a sucker for big, dumb, monster fights and this movie has plenty.  Yes, the majority of the characters are stupid and worthless, but the action sequences are a blast and at least there is an interesting dynamic between Kyle Chandler, Millie Bobby Brown, and Vera Farmiga.  The conflict between them is engaging, which elevates it up above the other two movies on this list.  

 8/10: Really Good 


#3. Godzilla vs. Kong (2021)


Once again, the monster fights are the best parts of this movie.  These may actually be the best of the entire franchise and are truly spectacular.  It's just that the characters are easily the worst of the franchise and the movie doesn't even try to develop them or make them interesting in any way, shape, or form.  On some level, I respect that they understand no one cares about the characters.  We're just here for the monsters, but after rewatching the rest of the films, I would still rather have dumb characters I somewhat care about over dumb characters who are annoying and can go ahead and die at any time.

 7/10: Good 


#4. Godzilla (2014)


Coming in dead last is the one that kicked this MonsterVerse off.  I liked this movie more than the first time I watched it, but I still am not really a fan.  Why do I watch these movies?  So I can see big, dumb monsters fight and destroy cities.  Why on Earth did the filmmakers think it was a good idea to cut away from all of the destruction sequences just as they were getting started?  We only get to see one real fight sequence and it's at the very end of the movie.  Don't get me wrong, it's very good, but I wanted more.  Focusing on the human characters isn't a bad idea, but the human characters were all very dull, with the exception of Bryan Cranston's, who gets taken out of the movie way too early.  It's not a bad movie, but I wouldn't call it good either.

 5/10: Meh 

So, what do you think?  Did I nail it or am I dead wrong?  Let me know!






Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Argylle (2024) Review

Top 10 Movies of 2023

Madame Web (2024) Review