The Munsters (2022) Review

 "I'm just a regular gal living a boring, normal life."
-Lily Munster



Lily (Sheri Moon Zombie) falls in love with stand-up comedian and singer, Herman Munster (Jeff Daniel Phillips), and the two lovebirds quickly get married, much to the displeasure of Lily's father, the Count (Daniel Roebuck).  After losing their castle, the family decides to leave Transylvania and move to Los Angeles, but discover they may have trouble fitting in.


What Works:

The thing I admire most about this movie is director Rob Zombie's passion for the material.  It's well known that he's a super-fan of the original show and that love and care definitely show.  I may not have really liked the movie, but I'm glad Zombie got to make it and it makes me respect the movie a lot more.

The one thing I absolutely loved is the atmosphere.  The movie does a great job of making spooky vibes.  Sure, it feels like a Halloween special, but I'm okay with that.  Spooky vibes are my thing.  I wished I lived in their castle.  I just loved the look of this movie and all of the production design.

Finally, I laughed more than I was expecting.  I went into this movie with very low expectations, but I laughed more often than not.  I especially liked the darker jokes and Richard Brake's performance.


What Sucks:

There are two major problems with this movie, which prevent me from giving it a recommendation.  First is that there is virtually no conflict.  Nothing is ever at stake in this movie.  It just feels like we're just watching these characters trot along through life.  They never give us a reason to care.

Finally, a lot of the time this movie is simply obnoxious.  I've said this about all of Zombie's movie.  Sometimes it feels like he is making a music video rather than a narrative film.  It's in-your-face to the point of nausea.  It works better here than in some of his other films, but it doesn't make me enjoy the movie.


Verdict:

The Munsters is not nearly as bad as I was expecting.  I respect the passion, love the atmosphere, and laughed a decent amount.  It's just that the lack of conflict and obnoxious tone make it a bit of a slog to sit through.  It's not a bad movie, but it's not good either.

 5/10: Meh 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Argylle (2024) Review

Top 10 Movies of 2023

Madame Web (2024) Review