Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (2023) Review

 "That guy looks like broccoli."
-Hank Pym



When Scott Lang (Paul Rudd) and his family are pulled into the Quantum Realm, they discover that Janet van Dyne (Michelle Pfeiffer) neglected to tell them that the Realm has intelligent life and is basically its own universe.  When Janet's nemesis, Kang (Jonathan Majors), discovers her return, he starts hunting her and her family and he will do whatever it takes to find them.


Spoilers below!


What  Works:

I don't know why people are getting so bent out of shape with this movie.  This was an absolute blast.  Post-Endgame, this is exactly the kind of stuff I wanted from the MCU.  I don't want straight-forward superhero movies.  I'm here for the weird shit.  I'll take stuff like this and Thor: Love and Thunder everyday over Black Widow or Black Panther: Wakanda ForeverQuantumania is truly bizarre and I dig it.

The one thing everyone can agree in is how great Jonathan Majors is as Kang and I'm really excited to see where the MCU goes with him.  Majors does a fantastic job as the new big bad of the MCU and gives a complex performance.  He's a scary character and I love watching him in action.  His fist-fight with Scott actually hurt to watch.

I was not expecting Corey Stoll to return as Darren Cross.  He was a pretty underwhelming villain in the first Ant-Man, so having him come back was a surprise.  Having him return as M.O.D.O.K was an even bigger surprise.  The visuals of him are jarring and disturbing, but in a good way that fits the film.  Everything involved with his character is both hilarious and insane.  I want more of these weird villains please.

Finally, the action is pretty solid.  It felt like stuff you'd see in a Guardians of the Galaxy movie and that's some of my favorite stuff in the MCU.  It's bizarre and you always get exactly what's happening, but that's okay.  Neither do the main characters.  The Quantum Realm is a fun and unique world and that lends itself to some fun and unique action.  Especially when we get some ants involved in the action.


What Sucks:

As much as I enjoyed the Quantum Realm, it did feel underdeveloped.  The stories of the new characters and Janet's time in the Quantum Realm are brushed over and not explored nearly enough.  I wanted more.  We get so many weird new characters and this weird new world.  I would have loved to learn more about all of it so I could have been more invested in their fate.

Finally, in the first half of the movie, lack of communication is a major theme.  The family is hiding things from Scott and Janet isn't telling people the truth about what happened in the Quantum Realm.  The lack of communication gets them into trouble, and was pretty annoying.  It takes forever for Janet to spill the beans and I was actually getting annoyed waiting for the backstory.  I would have been more forgiving if this paid off in the second half.  If there had been a scene where the family learns to communicate better and uses that to defeat Kang, but that doesn't happen.  It makes the early stuff with Janet more frustrating in hindsight.


Verdict:

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania has some problems.  The new elements are underdeveloped and the lack of communication is frustrating, but this is what I want from the MCU overall.  Weird bullshit, great villains, and fun action.  I hope the MCU continues in this direction and doesn't get scared by the mixed reception this movie is getting.  Quantumania has absolutely got it going on.

 8/10: Really Good 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Argylle (2024) Review

Top 10 Movies of 2023

Madame Web (2024) Review