Survivor 45: Episode 4 "Music to My Ears" Gameplay Analysis

 "I got stories."
-Sean Edwards



I was really enjoying this episode until I wasn't.  The tribe swap was a breath of fresh air.  I think seasons should generally have one, and not just a mini-swap like they had in 44.  I loved watching all of the new interactions and I was looking forward to Tribal Council until Sean up and quit out of nowhere.  It would have been hilarious if they had voted out Sifu instead and held Sean hostage, but that wasn't to be.  I'm cool with casting fewer nice people who are just there to experience Survivor and more cutthroat people who are there just for the money.  We've had two of these in four episodes, something needs to change.  Anyway, let's get into who played well and who sucked.


Who Played Well:

Let's start on the new Belo tribe.  I really liked Emily's honesty approach.  I think that was a great direction for her to go and the alliance of Emily, Austin, and Drew is a fun one.  I hope they go far.

Over on Lulu, I really like Bruce's read of Katurah.  He could tell that she was trying to catch him in a lie and is out to get him.  He's trying to turn the game around on her and that's a really smart move.  I also really liked all the connections that were made on this tribe.  Kaleb talked to Bruce, Kellie, Jake, and Katurah.  They're all giving themselves options moving forward, which is exactly what you want to do in a swap.


Who Sucked:

Staying on Lulu, Katurah's move to shush Bruce and get more information from Kaleb was way too obvious.  It felt like something that would work in a courtroom that you should never try on Survivor.  I would bet that Katurah is next to go from this tribe.

Moving over to Reba, what a mess.  Before Tribal Council, I think Sean was probably the right move, especially for Dee and Julia.  They know Sifu doesn't have an Idol because they know Austin has it.  They just met Sean.  Take him out.  Plus Sifu is better at challenges and is pro-Reba.  However, once Sean asked them to vote him out, it might have been the perfect opportunity to hold him hostage and blindside Sifu.  There are certainly arguments to vote out either guy.  Ultimately, they weren't on the same page and they needed to be.  They didn't vote together and now Dee is going to be in the hot seat with Sifu.  It was a tricky situation that they could have handled better.  And Sifu would have been gone if it wasn't for Sean's quit.  It shows a lack of awareness in regards to his tribe.

I didn't get enough from Brando or Kenda for me to say either way.

As for Sean, what the hell?  He would have made it through!  You can't go without seeing your husband for two more weeks!?  Really!?  I'm usually more forgiving of quitters than most Survivor fans, but this is just ridiculous and annoying.  And trying to paint himself that he could have won if he wanted to in his exit confessional...just shut up.  Way to ruin a perfectly good episode, Sean.


Verdict:

Best Player of the Episodes goes to Bruce Perreault for reading Katurah's motives correctly and trying to pull in Kaleb to eventually turn the tables on her.

Worst Player of the Episode goes to Katurah Topps for being way too obvious in trying to catch Bruce in a lie.  She should have questioned Kaleb in private, not in front of Bruce.  As a reminder, I don't give either Award to the person who was eliminated.  I think that's too easy and less fun.  I definitely would have given it to Sean otherwise.

Hopefully that's the last of the quits this season and casting learns a lesson or two.  This has been a really fun season otherwise and I'm hoping it stays that way.  I'm very excited to see the fallout with Dee's vote for Sifu.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Argylle (2024) Review

Top 10 Movies of 2023

Madame Web (2024) Review