Toy Story 3 (2010) Review

"Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force!"
-Barbie



As Andy (John Morris) prepares to leave for college the toys prepare to be put in the attic for the long haul.  Unfortunately, they are accidentally sent to Sunnyside Daycare, which seems like a wonderful place for a toy, but is actually more like a prison run by Lots-O'-Huggin' Bear (Ned Beatty).  With only a few days before Andy leaves for college, Woody (Tom Hanks) and the gang has to find a way to escape Sunnyside before they wind up destroyed by rambunctious toddlers.


What Works:

If you had told me Toy Story 3 was going to be one of the best prison escape movies ever, I wouldn't have believed you, but here we are.  More than any other film in the series, this movie has a real sense of danger throughout and that gives the story high stakes.  The escape sequence is a lot of fun and the world of Sunnyside is utterly fascinating.

Lotso is hands-down the best antagonist of the series.  He seems like such a kind character when we first meet him, but we eventually learn how downright evil he is.  It's a great performance from Beatty and I like how complex of a character Lotso is, while still being easy to despise.

Ken (Michael Keaton) and Barbie (Jodi Benson) are probably my favorite additions to the cast.  Both of them are absolutely wonderful and have plenty of fantastic moments.  It still blows my mind that they got Keaton to play Ken, but he's absolutely perfect. 

Not only do we get Buzz Lightyear (Tim Allen) back in his original space ranger form, but we also get Spanish Buzz.  It's hilarious and his interactions with Jessie (Joan Cusack) are incredible.

When you think about Toy Story 3, the trash incinerator scene is the first thing you think of and with good reason.  It's the single darkest moment in the entire series and I can't believe Pixar went with it.  It's a heart-wrenching scene watching all these characters I grew up with stuck in an impossible situation and facing their doom.  It's powerful stuff and the single most memorable scene in the entire series and one of the best scenes in cinematic history.

Finally, I grew up with Toy Story.  I was close to Andy's age when the first two films were coming out and I was reaching the end of high school when this one came out.  The leaving for college story hit me hard and watching Andy play with his toys for the last time is just as emotional as the incinerator scene.  It's a beautiful goodbye and the perfect way to end the trilogy.  No matter how many times I watch this film, I still tear up during this scene.


What Sucks:

I have nothing for you.


Verdict:

In my Toy Story review, I said the original film is a perfect movie.  I feel the same way about 3 and this film somehow manages to surpass the original.  The story is brilliant and an absolute blast, Lotso is a fantastic antagonist, we get some great new characters, the incinerator scene is brutally amazing, and we ultimately end the trilogy on the highest note possible.  Toy Story 3 is one of my all-time favorite films and has 100% got it going on.

 10/10: Amazing  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Argylle (2024) Review

Top 10 Movies of 2023

Madame Web (2024) Review