Toy Story 4 (2019) Review

"I am not a toy."
-Forky




As the toys settle into life with their new kid, Bonnie (Madeleine McGraw), Woody (Tom Hanks) is having difficulty adjusting to no longer being the favorite toy.  While on a road trip, Bonnie's favorite toy, Forky (Tony Hale), is left behind and Woody goes after him.  The two end up in the clutches of a gang of evil antique dolls and the only way out is with the help of a familiar face, Bo Peep (Annie Potts).


What Works:

I'll be the first to admit, I was beyond skeptical of Toy Story 4.  The first three films form a near-perfect trilogy and I though the third film finished on such a high note that I didn't want Pixar to go anywhere near this franchise again.  I didn't think there was any way this film could reach the heights of the first three.  I was wrong.  The story is incredibly engaging and doesn't feel tacked on at all.  It makes perfect sense in a way. 

We all know how emotional the incinerator scene from Toy Story 3 is along with the toys leaving Andy.  I was stunned to see Toy Story 4 reach those same emotional heights.  These characters are incredibly easy to become invested in and the choices they make have severe ramifications.  I want to say I wasn't tearing up at the end of the film, but I was.

Toy Story 2 and 3 are more ensemble films with many characters getting larger roles, but that isn't the case here.  This is mostly the Woody show.  I'm surprised with how well that works.  I love the other characters, but this is Woody's story and I'm totally okay with the more focused direction the film takes.

I loved all of the new characters as well.  Keanu Reeves plays a stuntman toy with insane levels of enthusiasm and Keegan-Michael Key and Jordan Peele play a pair of violent carnival toys.  All three of them add a lot of fun to the film and are great additions to the series.

We have an excellent villain in the form of Gabby Gabby (Christina Hendricks).  She is very complex and has a totally understandable goal.  She is extremely unsettling, especially if you find antique dolls creepy (like I do).  Plus she adds an element of horror to the film, which I always appreciate.

The return of Bo Peep is very well handled and I love how much her character has changed.  She gives a perspective we haven't seen before in this franchise and I was fascinated by her, far more than I was in either of her other appearances. 

Finally, having just watched the original film, it took me a few minutes to adjust to how much the animation has improved.  It looks different from the original film, but it's better and it's truly a work of art. 


What Sucks:

I did find Buzz Lightyear's (Tim Allen) subplot about finding his inner voice a bit silly, but ultimately the payoff was worth it to the point that I retract this complaint.


Verdict:

A month ago, if you had told me Toy Story 4 was not going to be the worst film in the series, I wouldn't have believed you, but I was wrong.  I actually think it's better than Toy Story 2.  It's such a fun movie, but it's also packed full of emotions.  I loved seeing all of the old gang, but the new characters were equally fantastic.  The return of Bo Peep as well as a great villain add to an already awesome film.  I loved the ending of this movie so much that I would actually be okay with a Toy Story 5.  Without a doubt, this movie has got it going on.

 10/10: Amazing 


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Argylle (2024) Review

Top 10 Movies of 2023

Madame Web (2024) Review