Studio 666 (2022) Review

 "It's called 'Everlong' and you wrote it about twenty years ago."
-Taylor Hawkins



The Foo Fighters prepare to record their 10th album, but want to record it somewhere they have never recorded before and end up at a creepy old house in Encino.  As they start to record, it becomes apparent that there is something incredibly wrong with the house and Dave Grohl.  It's up to the rest of the Foo Fighters to fight to survive and possibly save Dave.



What Works:

Right off the bat, I love the premise for this movie.   I saw the trailer for the first time two weeks before the movie came out and I immediately knew I had to see it.  It's such a fun premise and I'm really glad this movie was made.  The quality of the film almost doesn't matter.  This movie exists.  The Foo Fighters made a horror movie about themselves.  That's awesome!

One thing I wasn't expecting was the gore.  There are some awesome kills in this movie and they don't hold back at all.  I suspected that would be the case as I saw a few familiar names pop up in the credits, especially Tony Gardner, but I didn't expect it to be as gory as Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

I also loved the design of the more surreal and supernatural elements.  Grohl has a couple of fun dream sequences and the demons look really cool.  There's also one excellent long take as Nate and Pat flee from Grohl and the demons through the house.


What Sucks:

As much as I love the premise of the film, this is a concept that definitely works better as a trailer than a feature film.  Most of the best parts, besides the kills, are in the trailer.  It doesn't quite have enough ideas to keep the movie going.  This movie is nearly two hours long and it doesn't need to be.  A crisp 82 minutes would have been perfect, as the movie feels very repetitive at times.

As much as I like the Foo Fighters, they are much better musicians than actors.  Dave Grohl does a decent job, but the rest...eh.  This would have been a better film if Jack Black had been the lead.  Maybe Dave Grohl could still be in the cast, but fill the rest of the roles with comedians who are musical and can act.

A lot of the humor doesn't work.  Some of the more surreal stuff is funny, but the dialogue is mostly just the Foo Fighters swearing.  Sometimes it's funny, but it runs out of steam as the movie goes on.

Finally, the horror elements of the film are overly complicated with a deep lore.  We really didn't need any of that.  This should have been straightforward and simple with clearly defined rules, like all horror movies should have.  The focus should not have been on the lore, but what is happening and how can our characters stop it.


Verdict:

I love the idea for this movie a lot and I'm glad they made it, especially with the level of gore they used.  However, the execution left a lot to be desired and I can think of a dozen ways this could have been a stronger film.  It's not a bad movie, but I can't really recommend it either.

 5/10: Meh 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Argylle (2024) Review

Top 10 Movies of 2023

Madame Web (2024) Review