Bodies Bodies Bodies (2022) Review

 "You are so toxic."
-Emma



Sophie (Amanda Stenberg) and her new girlfriend, Bee (Maria Bakalova), attend a hurricane party at Sophie's best friend's isolated mansion.  The group decides to play a murder party game called "Bodies Bodies Bodies," but when actually bodies start turning up, the game quickly gets out of hand.


What Works:

So this was a movie that worked for me in the first half, but falls apart in the second.  Everything was really well set up with a tight script.  I generally love whodunnit movies and the first half of the movie does a good job of setting up the characters and the internal conflict in the group.  When the game actually started, I was very excited.  Most of the characters were unlikable, but not all of them and I was excited to see what would happened once things got rolling.  It's a really well done setup.

The final twist is also interesting.  I won't spoil it here, but it does make me want to rewatch the movie with full knowledge of the plot.  Maybe I'll like it more on the rewatch.


What Sucks:

The problem with this movie comes from the characters.  They absolutely suck and that's the point.  From watching the trailer, I could tell that these characters were going to be insufferable and it made me not want to see the film.  When the reviews came out, they were mostly positive and I heard this movie is a satire and there is at least one likable character.  As the movie goes on, all but one of the main characters become incredibly unlikable, which would be find if the main character wasn't so boring.  She just isn't interesting in the slightest.  I think because she isn't offensive, people are confusing that for likable.  For me, for a movie to work, the main character needs to be either likable or interesting, if not both.  That isn't the case here.  And since the rest of the characters are all awful people, it made it impossible for me to keep myself interested in the film.  I get that the characters being awful was the point, but that didn't make it any easier for me to enjoy the film.

Finally, I might be able to get past the unlikable characters if they were smarter.  Most of the decisions the characters make are beyond stupid and irrational.  I found myself getting frustrated as characters would split up just to increase suspicion.  It felt very forced and took me out of the movie.   


Verdict:

Bodies Bodies Bodies is a weird movie.  It's got a solid setup and a solid twist, but the middle of the movie and my enjoyment overall were marred by stupid and terrible characters.  I just didn't care.  I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a bad movie, but it isn't good either and I would not recommend it.

 5/10: Meh 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Argylle (2024) Review

Top 10 Movies of 2023

Madame Web (2024) Review