The Green Inferno (2015) Review

"I can smell my friend being cooked."
-Lars



A group of social-activists fly to Peru to stop a company from destroying a section of the rain-forest home to an uncontacted tribe.  When their plane crashes, the survivors find themselves the captives of the very tribe they were trying to protect and, to their horror, discover the tribe are cannibalistic.


What Works:

I love the premise for this movie.  A group of activists being killed by the very thing they were trying to save.  It's wonderfully ironic.  It reminds me of one of my favorite episodes of South Park, "Rainforest Schmainforest," and that's a major compliment.

I really like movies like this and Midsommar where our main characters are at the mercy of a society who plans to inflict great harm upon them, but see no issue with it.  That's the most terrifying type of horror movie in my opinion.  A whole society out to get you and kill you brutally.  Chills.

The gore is unreal, as expected from Eli Roth.  It has some of the most brutal kills I have ever seen in a horror movie.  One of the kills included eyeballs getting gouged out, which is a huge phobia of mine, so I have to give props to Roth for making me feel queasy.

Finally, early in the film there is a scene where the activists face off against the armed militia that work for the company clearing the land.  It's a really intense scene and well directed.  There are no cannibals, but it's still an exciting sequence and had me on the edge of my seat.


What Sucks:

The biggest problem with the movie is that all of the characters suck.  None of them are likable.  I get what Roth was going for by doing this, but it would have been nice to have one character to root for.

There also about three scenes of inappropriate toilet humor.  They feel really out of place and are extremely immature.  The explosive diarrhea and "munchies" moments took me out of the movie and lessened an otherwise horrifying experience.

Finally, the CGI is really bad.  There are scenes involving a panther and some ants that look awful.  I've seen CGI from the early 2000's that looked better than this.


Verdict:

The Green Inferno has an awesome premise, amazing gore, and some really intense moments.  The characters are unlikable, the humor misses the mark, and the CGI is really bad, but it's a mostly entertaining ride. 

 7/10: Good 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Argylle (2024) Review

Top 10 Movies of 2023

Madame Web (2024) Review