Psycho Goreman (2021) Review

 "I do not care for hunky boys.  Or do I?"
-Psycho Goreman



Siblings Mimi (Nita-Josee Hanna) and Luke (Owen Myre) discover an imprisoned alien buried alive in their backyard.  The alien, who they name Psycho Goreman (Matthew Ninaber), is a genocidal maniac and the scourge of the universe who would like nothing more than to brutally murder the kids.  Fortunately, Mimi finds the gem that can control P.G. and decides to have some fun with the alien.  However, P.G.'s return grabs the attention of more than a few extraterrestrial beings.


What Works:

Psycho Goreman is a movie that seems like it was made specifically for me.  It's like someone opened up my brain and took what was inside to make a movie.  It's everything I wanted it to be.  It's silly, weird, over-the-top, and completely unapologetic about it.  It's a movie that does exactly what it wants and doesn't give a frig what you think about it.  And I love it.

Psycho Goreman himself is fantastic.  He's a brilliant character who pairs wonderfully with the kids he's stuck with.  I love how violent and murderous he is.  He is voiced perfectly by Steven Vlahos and really lives up to his name.  Yet, somehow, he's only the second craziest character in the movie.

The main protagonist is Mimi.  Nita-Josee Hanna gives a bizarre performance that works really well for this film.  She's a sociopathic brat who I would normally hate to watch in any other movie, but her quirks and utter insanity works perfectly for someone who can boss Psycho Goreman around.  She has some really unique line deliveries that made me feel like I was having an aneurysm, but still managed to make me laugh.

Adam Brooks plays the father of Mimi and Luke, Greg, and he's another really interesting character.  He's a terrible father, but he's really funny to watch.  He has plenty of great and hilarious moments and is another unique personality in a movie that is full of uniqueness.

The designs of all the different aliens are wonderful.  I get annoyed at a lot of big-budget movies with creatures in them.  A lot of the time the aliens and creatures look pretty generic.  You've got the money!  Make some interesting monsters!  Psycho Goreman does it with a much smaller budget.  Are they cheesy?  Yes.  Are they charming?  Yes.  The aliens are simply fantastic and I love how many of them we get.  Even the minor aliens have great designs.  It's obvious from the designs and the miniatures used that this movie was made with passion.  Plus one of them is voiced by Rich Evans from Red Letter Media, which is always a way to earn points with me.

Finally, this is a really funny movie.  The dialogue, performances, and editing all come together to make a really funny movie.  I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard at a movie.  It actually made my chest hurt from laughing so much.


What Sucks:

There are a couple of minor issues with this movie that come from it being a low-budget film.  Not all of the CGI looks great and there are a couple of jokes that don't land, but we're talking minor stuff.  


Verdict:

Psycho Goreman is everything I wanted it to be and is the best movie I've seen so far in 2021.  The creature designs, the performances, the editing, and the writing all come together to make a truly unique film.  I can't understate how much I loved this movie and it has absolutely got it going on.

 9/10: Great 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Argylle (2024) Review

Top 10 Movies of 2023

Madame Web (2024) Review