The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water (2015) Review

 "Rock-hard abs!"
-Squidward Tentacles



As Plankton (Mr. Lawrence) attempts to steal the Krabby Patty secret formula, it vanishes into thin air.  Of course, everyone blames Plankton anyway, except for SpongeBob (Tom Kenny).  As the residents of Bikini Bottom go insane due to to lack of Krabby Patties, it's up to SpongeBob and Plankton to recover the secret formula and save the town.

Before reading any further, if you haven't seen Sponge Out of Water, I implore to stop what you are doing and go watch this film.  This is the most bats**t insane movie I have ever seen in my life and I don't want to spoil it for you if you haven't seen it.  So go watch this movie, enjoy the insanity, and come back and read this review.  SPOILERS AHEAD!  You've been warned.


What Works:

Like the previous movie, Sponge Out of Water does an excellent job of capturing the spirit of the original cartoon.  Granted, this movie dials everything up to eleven, but the characters and humor are all there.  It fits right alongside the show and not all big-screen adaptations can pull that off.

My only complaint with the first film was that a lot of the best characters had very little to do.  That's rectified here.  Mr. Krabbs, Squidward, and Sandy all get plenty to do here and their presence adds a lot to the film.

Now for the fun part.  As I said about, this is the most insane movie I have ever seen.  I stand by that.  Maybe 20 minutes into the film, the movie dials it up to eleven by turning into a Mad Max movie.  I didn't know I wanted that in my SpongeBob movie, but I'm glad I got it.  Then the movie laughs at you and says, "You think that's insane, hold my Krabby Patty and watch this."  This movie dials it's eleven up to eleven with time-travel, inter-dimensional dolphins, superheroes, and a rap battle.  I lost count of how many times my jaw dropped while watching this film.  I don't know what I expected going into this movie, but it wasn't what I got, and I'm more than ok with that.

The story of the movie is told by a pirate, Burger Beard (Antonio Banderas), to a group of seagulls.  Their scenes are funny on their own and they all have some great moments.  I wasn't sure how they were going to tie into the main story and I certainly wasn't expecting Burger Beard to be the main antagonist, but Banderas does a great job in this cartoony role.

Finally, the 3rd act features our main characters going to shore in the live-action world to confront Burger Beard.  They take on the personas of superheroes to do battle with him.  It's another insane and over-the-top sequence and it's a lot of fun.  I know some people were upset we didn't get more of our characters in the real world, but I think we got the perfect amount.


What Sucks:

I got nothing for you.


Verdict:

Sponge Out of Water is the most insane movie I have ever seen and one of the most enjoyable cinematic experiences of my life.  This film does a great job with the characters we know and love, manages to be hilarious, while keeping the story utterly unpredictable, and has a solid villain and a fun 3rd act.  This movie is virtually perfect as far as I'm concerned and has absolutely got it going on.

 10/10: Amazing 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Argylle (2024) Review

Top 10 Movies of 2023

Madame Web (2024) Review