The Hurricane Heist (2018) Review

Anyone who knows me can tell you there is nothing I love more than a good, bad movie.  If a movie is bad, but still fun and entertaining, than I'll probably love it.  So, when I saw the trailer for The Hurricane Heist, I knew I had to see it.  The potential this movie has for so-bad-it's-good-ness, is incredibly high.  So, did it live up to its potential?  Let's find out.



Just as a massive hurricane hits a small, coastal town in Alabama, a team of thieves manage to take over a U.S. Treasury facility to steal millions of dollars.  But, when one of the agents protecting the money, Casey (Maggie Grace) gets a strange feeling, she changes the code to the vault.  The thieves realize that they need Casey to accomplish their plans.  They chase after her into the storm as she gets help from Will (Toby Kebbell), a meteorologist, and his ex-Marine brother, Breeze (Ryan Kwanten).  They are forced to not only survive the thieves, but also the worst hurricane the world has ever seen.


What Works/What Sucks:

This is an amazing movie, but not because it works, it's because it's so bad that it's hilarious.  So a lot of the problems this movie has is what makes it great, so I'm going to combine these sections together.

The Hurricane Heist is basically a combination of Twister, Hard Rain, and The Fast and the Furious. It has Hard Rain' s plot of thieves doing a job in a storm.  It has some story elements and characters that come straight out of Twister.  I can't tell if they are an homage or a rip-off.  And it has the action and ridiculous/stupid stunts of The Fast and the Furious and its sequels.  These are all good things.

The dialogue is ludicrously bad.  There is a ton of exposition dialogue that is completely unnecessary, but its so blatant that its hilarious.  The action is over-the-top fun, and simply absurd.  You can't help but burst out laughing.  There are a few British actors trying to play southerners, and their accents slip in and out.  I love it.  

Now, all of these things should be a negative in most movies.  But The Hurricane Heist is just so much fun.  It knows its stupid and it doesn't care.  That's the difference between movies like this and the Transformers movies.  It's not trying to be something it's not.  It's a dumb action movie, and that's all its trying to be.  And I can respect that.  And I can certainly enjoy it.


Verdict:

I know that The Hurricane Heist isn't for everyone, and I know I am much higher on it than most people will be, but I don't care.  I had fun.  I enjoyed watching the movie, and isn't that what movies are about?  Entertainment.  For all its faults, The Hurricane Heist is absolutely entertaining, and I can't recommend it enough, and in its own weird way, it's got it going on.

 7/10: So Bad, It's Good 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Argylle (2024) Review

Top 10 Movies of 2023

Madame Web (2024) Review