Lara Croft - Tomb Rader (2001) Review

I recently say the Tomb Raider reboot and thought it was ok.  I've also started playing one of the Tomb Raider video games and I'm enjoying it.  I figured it was about time I check out the original film and see if it's got it going on.



Lara Croft (Angelina Jolie) is a tomb raider, like her father, Richard Croft (Jon Voight), who has been missing for years.  Lara discovers a clock, left behind by her father,  that is the key to finding a mysterious artifact, the Triangle, which can control time.  Unfortunately, the Illuminati is also after the Triangle, which sets Lara and the Illuminati on a violent collision course for control of the time itself.


What Works:

Lara Croft - Tomb Raider is a very dumb movie, and it owns it, which I can respect.  It gets extremely over-the-top in it's action sequences, which I enjoyed as a sort-of guilty pleasure.  It gets completely ridiculous, and that's not a common quality in movies.

I also enjoyed Daniel Craig's performance as Lara's rival, Alex West.  It's strange hearing him speak with an American accent, and although he doesn't get a lot to do, he is easily the most memorable character.


What Sucks:

The CGI has not aged well.  I get that this movie was released in 2001, but still.  It's atrocious and it makes the ridiculous action scenes somewhat distracting.

For the most part, this movie simply isn't memorable.  The story, the writing, everything is bland.  Lara Croft isn't really a character, it's just Angelina Joile smirking her way through the movie.  The villain is boring.  The side-characters are boring.  I feel like I've forgotten most of this movie and I just watched it.


Verdict:

I can appreciate a dumb movie.  I love the Fast & Furious movies.  They know they are stupid, but they have likable characters at the very least.  Lara Croft - Lomb Raider doesn't really have that.  Sure, some of the over-the-top parts are fun, but for the most part, this movie is just bland, and certainly does not have it going on.

 4/10: Dumb 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Argylle (2024) Review

Top 10 Movies of 2023

Madame Web (2024) Review