Bad Boys (1995) Review

"Now back up, put the gun down, and get me a pack of Tropical Fruit Bubblicious!"
-Mike Lowrey

"And some Skittles."
-Marcus Burnett



I just want to start off by saying I have never seen either Bad Boys movie.

"You ain't seen Bad Boys II?!"
-Danny Butterman (Hot Fuzz)

A friend of mine (I'm looking at you, Kendall), was getting on my case about watching them, so I'm finally getting around to it.  But I would like it noted that I have no nostalgic attachment for these films.  So brace yourself if you do, because, I'll be honest, I didn't care for this movie...


Bad Boys is a buddy-cop movie that follows detectives Marcus Burnett (Martin Lawrence), a family-man, and Mike Lowery (Will Smith), a womanizing bachelor.  After Fouchet (Tchéky Karyo) pulls off a successful heist of the police's evidence vault, where they steal $100 million dollars worth of heroin, Burnett and Lowery are put on the case.  Internal Affairs suspect it was an inside job and threaten to shut down the department.  Lowery goes to his ex-girlfriend and informant, Max Logan (Karen Alexander), to snoop for information which results in her death.  With the case now personal, it's up to Burnett and Lowery to hunt down Fouchet, and protect the only witness, Julie Mott (Téa Leoni), from being killed.


What Works:

The biggest compliment I can give Bad Boys is that Will Smith and Martin Lawrence have excellent chemistry.  They are jerks to each other, but I can believe they are good friends and really care about each other.  It's a shame the rest of the movie isn't better, so they could've had more time to shine.

Bad Boys also has two solid action sequences.  The 3rd act is probably the best sequence in the movie, but there is also an earlier scene that involves Lawrence climbing on top of a speeding car.  Both sequences are very fun and are the only other highlights of the film.


What Sucks:

This is a Michael Bay movie, and that comes with all sorts of Michael Bay "comedy".  There are tons of jokes and one-liners that don't make sense, aren't funny, or are misplaced.  The whole time I was watching the movie, I was irritated, just like I am with most of Bay's movies.  He really needs to tone it down and make the characters and the story interesting, not just endless, stupid jokes.  It gets old really fact.

If you boil it all down, this is simply a generic, buddy-cop movie.  It doesn't do anything special.  All of the Lethal Weapon movies are better than this, even 3.  Most of the action isn't interesting, the bad guy is dull, the love interest is annoying, the comedy sucks, the story isn't compelling, and the characters aren't interesting.  It's nothing special.  It doesn't do anything new.  


Verdict:

Apart from the chemistry between the two leads and two solid action sequences, Bad Boys is a generic movie that doesn't do anything special and, honestly, wasn't worth my time, nor is it worth yours.  Bad Boys certainly does not have it going on.

 3/10: Stupid and Generic 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Argylle (2024) Review

Top 10 Movies of 2023

Madame Web (2024) Review