Wayne's World (1992) Review

Quick confession: I have never seen Wayne's World until now, so I have no nostalgic attachment to it.  Just felt that should be noted before I get to my review.

"If she were president, she'd be Baberaham Lincoln."
-Garth



Wayne's World follows two rock-n-roll fans, Wayne (Mike Myers) and Garth (Dana Carvey) who host a public access TV show called Wayne's World out of Wayne's parent's basement.  TV producer Benjamin Oliver (Robe Lowe) spots an opportunity to make some money and signs Wayne's World with the intent to sell out.  Wayne and Garth make things difficult, as they don't want to sell out.  The dudes gotta save Wayne's World and win over their dream girls, all while having an excellent time.


What Works:

Simply put, Wayne's World is freakin' hilarious.  The most important part of making a comedy is the actual humor, and Wayne's World pulls it off with ease.  I rarely stopped laughing and had a great time watching it.

The characters are also great.  Wayne and Garth are super likable and both Myers and Carvey give great performances, as does Wayne's love interest, Cassandra (Tia Carrere).  They all have great chemistry and it makes the movie even more fun.

The supporting actors are also great too.  Lara Flynn Boyle plays Wayne's ex-girlfriend, Stacy.  I know of Boyle from Twin Peaks and she is my least favorite character on that show.  But here, she is used perfectly and is terrifying.  Ed O'Neil is also great as the murderous manager of a donut shop.  Plus, we get some amazing cameos from Alice Cooper, Robert Patrick, and Chris Farley, all of whom are fantastic.

The references in this move are, in general, awesome.  They insert a ton of pop cultures nods throughout and and almost all of them are great.  My favorite being the one involving Robert Patrick.


What Sucks:

My only real complaint involves the references I was just talking about.  Not all of them work.  Some of them are very dated and went over my head.  I had to have someone explain them to me.  That's the risk you run when you incorporate pop culture into your film, not all of it is going to stay relevant.


Verdict:

Wayne's World is a very hyped up movie and I've only ever hear good things about it.  I gotta say it lived up to the hype.  It's hilarious, has great characters, performances, cameos, and references.  Not every reference works, but hey, it's still excellent!

 9/10: Great 

   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Argylle (2024) Review

Top 10 Movies of 2023

Madame Web (2024) Review