The Void (2016) Review

"You'd be surprised at the things you find when you go looking."
-Dr. Richard Powell



Deputy Daniel Carter (Aaron Poole) is out on patrol one night when he spots a bloody and disoriented man (Evan Stern) stumble out of the woods.  Daniel brings him to a small medical center for treatment, which has a tiny staff and only a handful of patients.  But things get out of hand fast when one of the nurses murders a patient and starts mutilating herself.  To make things worse, robed cultists surround the center, preventing anyone from leaving.  And the people trapped inside are starting to change...


What Works:

If you're familiar with any of my blog posts, than you'll know I'm a sucker for practical gore effects, and The Void has them in spades.  It's horrific, gross, and impressive.  I just love how gnarly the creatures look and the transformations the characters undergo are spectacular.  It's refreshing to not just have CGI effects in a horror movie.

I'm a fan of the works of H.P. Lovecraft, and this may be the most Lovecraftian movie I have ever seen.  It explores descents into madness and things that should not be, which is something I've always loved about Lovecraft's work.  The Void feels like an homage to him, and it's very well done.

I love Kenneth Welsh from the show Twin Peaks, and I got really excited when I saw his name in the opening credits, and he does not disappoint.  I won't say anything more about it, but it's some good stuff.

Finally, I want to compliment the pacing of the film.  It's 90 minutes long, but it feels much shorter.  This film flew by, because it doesn't really let up.  Things escalate quickly and soon you've lost tracked of how many times you've said "WTF!"  And suddenly the movie is over.  It's a roller coaster ride of insanity, and man, did I enjoy the ride.


What Sucks:

Early on in the movie, there are a couple of characters who act like jerks and are generally difficult for no reason.  Had they communicated more, some of the tragedy could have been avoided.  This is a trope that always annoys me in movies, but they stop being jerks for no reason quickly enough.


Verdict:

Simply put, The Void is a must-watch for horror fans.  It has incredible practical effects, tons of creepy and sick twists and turns, and a great performance form Kenneth Welsh.  It's a lot of fun, if you find sick and disturbing things fun.  And The Void certainly has got it going on.

 9/10: Great 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Argylle (2024) Review

Top 10 Movies of 2023

Madame Web (2024) Review